Facilities around the world are facing more and more stringent regulations in regards to safety and the environment. To meet these standards and maintain the quality of mid-range temperature control, the utilization of ammonia and carbon dioxide (NH/CO2) in chillers is leading the way.
Budzar Industries has developed a Chiller by combining Amonia (NH3) as the primary refrigerant and liquid Carbon Dixiode (CO2) as the secondary refrigerant. This Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Chiller is intended for facilities that require cold storage or combined freezer and cold storage. Using the combination reduces the ammonia charge by up to 90% as compared to ammonia only systems. Carbon Dioxide is non-flammable, non-toxic and has an Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP)=0, and has a Global Warming Potential (GWP)=1.
Benefits of Ammonia(NH3) Carbon Dioxide (CO2)Chillers
- Environmentally Safe; ammonia exists here on earth and CO2 is already in the atmosphere
- Leaks are quickly detected and will not damage products
- Highly efficient even in large systems
- Ammonia systems are more tolerant of moisture contamination
- CO2 is non‐toxic and non‐flammable
- Lower operating costs – A CO2/NH3 cascade system uses less energy per ton of refrigeration when compared to other refrigeration systems at full load, but the difference can be even better at part load, especially when operating at evaporating temperatures of -35°F to -60°F
- Lower capital costs using CO2 instead of ammonia for lower temperatures results in smaller pipes, smaller pumps, less insulation, and less installation labor when compared to two-stage ammonia systems
- Reduced compliance costs – in many cases, CO2/NH3 cascade systems can be designed with an ammonia charge below 10,000 pounds, giving owners the opportunity to reduce the costs associated with PSM and RMP compliance.
The Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Chillers from Budzar Industries use are based on more than 40 years of engineering, designing and manufacturing experience in the process heat transfer industry. Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide chillers, manufactured with industrial quality components are selected to give our chillers a long service life, deliver reliability, accuracy and dependability using a natural refrigerant and are safe for the environment. As with all ammonia chillers, steps must be taken to prevent liquid ammonia from getting into a sewage system or seeping into the ground.
Features of Ammonia-Carbon Dixiode Chillers
- Floating head pressure control
- Floating suction pressure control
- Close evaporator temperature approach
- Efficient compressor loading philosophy
- PLC Control
- Integrated gas detection
- Automatic oil recovery
- Low charge -less than 2lb/TR