Natural Refrigerant Chillers are Better for the Environment
The ozone and global warming are major concerns for the day and are frequently topics of conversation. Levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere hit a new record of 410.5 parts per million in 2019, and are expected to keep rising this year, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said in its annual Greenhouse Gas Bulletin on Monday, November 23, 2020. Environmentally friendly refrigerants are no longer an abstract idea for the future, they are a necessity for today if we want a healthy tomorrow.
Natural Refrigerants: Better for the Environment
Natural refrigerants are being used more frequently in the industrial cooling process. Though not commonplace, the use of refrigerants is becoming more common. To understand what Natural Refrigerants offer begins with understanding the importance of ODP and GWP, and how they have changed global thinking.
- “Ozone-Depletion Potential (ODP)”– Is defined as the ratio of global loss of ozone due to the given substance to the global loss of ozone due to CFC-11 of the same mass
- “Global-Warming Potential (GWP)”– Refers to the total contribution to global warming resulting from the emission of one unit of that gas relative to one unit of the reference gas, carbon dioxide, which is assigned a value of 1.
Natural Refrigerants and Their Characteristics
The specific characteristics of each natural refrigerant helps to determine their capability for various uses and applications.
- Hydrocarbons, such as Propane, have “no” ODP effect, and they have a “low” GWP effect. Propane is flammable and precautions must be made when developing a propane system.
- Ammonia As referenced by IIAR (International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration) ammonia is a reliable and efficient refrigerant with numerous years of safe, proven utility. Ammonia is produced by biological processes, is found in the water, soil and air and naturally decomposes. Ammonia has a GWP rating of 0 and an ODP rating of 0.
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2)is a naturally occurring substance and as a refrigerant has “no” ODP effect, has a “lower GWP” than Hydrocarbons. A significant challenge with the application of CO2 as a refrigerant is the higher operating pressures compared to other commercial refrigerants.
Natural Refrigerant Chillers: Engineered, Designed and Manufactured with Years of Education and Experience
The engineers and designers at Budzar Industries are constantly researching the latest components and engineering practices to incorporate into our eco-friendly chillers, which translates into top quality natural refrigerant chillers being delivered to you.
In addition to our engineering team is our highly skilled manufacturing team which builds the best chillers and chiller systems across the United States.
When you need top quality natural refrigerant chillers for your process, we have the expertise you require. Are you interested in information specific to your requirements? Take a few moments to complete the form below and a sales manager will contact you and answer your questions.
Video on Propane Chiller
Request for More Information